SST, Inc. Receives 26th U.S. Patent for ShotSpotter™ Gunfire Location, Alert and Analysis Technology
Company Continues Advancement of World’s Leading Gunshot Detection Technology and Strengthens Intellectual Property Portfolio
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- SST, Inc., the world leader in wide-area acoustic surveillance and gunfire location and alert technology and developer of ShotSpotter™, today announced the issuance of its 26th U.S. patent. Issued March 13, 2012, United States Patent Number 8,134,889 relates to enhancing the location accuracy of a gunshot through the use of a reflected signal to create a virtual sensor at the point of reflection. The patent expands the company’s existing deep patent portfolio in the areas of echo rejection and reflected signal identification, thus permitting greater location accuracy. Such techniques are critical in the complex, urban acoustic environments in which ShotSpotter technologies are deployed.
Since its inception in 1995, SST has built the deepest intellectual property portfolio relating to wide-area gunshot detection, location and analysis. The company’s ShotSpotter technology is the only wide-area acoustic surveillance gunshot detection, alert and analysis solution in the world and delivers the critical data and actionable information that public safety, police and law enforcement agencies need not only to respond efficiently to gunfire incidents faster and more safely, but also to enable them to proactively develop effective problem-oriented, data-driven policing strategies and tactical operations using the real-time intelligence and data provided by ShotSpotter.
SST has advanced gunshot detection to the forefront as a critical tool in combating gun violence in cities and communities, and the company has established itself as the unquestioned worldwide leader in gunfire alert and analysis technology. SST solutions currently protect cities and countries around the world, with more than 80 installations in four countries and in more than 65 U.S. cities.
“This new patent reinforces our commitment to the ongoing advancement and evolution of gunshot location and analysis technology and underscores our capability as the world leader in this technology,” said Ralph A. Clark, President & CEO of SST. “We’re very proud of our extensive and formidable intellectual property portfolio. As more and more cities integrate our solution with their strategic policing initiatives, we’ll continue to leverage our technological advancements to deliver solutions that enable law enforcement to strengthen the fight against gun violence and help make communities and cities safer.”
ShotSpotter Flex℠, SST’s cloud-based, subscription service offering, helps law enforcement agencies leverage the intelligence and real-time gunshot location data to support their gun violence reduction initiatives and community-based, data-driven policing strategies and deployments. Its primary benefits include:
- Instant, Accurate Situational Awareness – Precise gunfire incident information enables informed decisions for faster emergency response while also improving situational intelligence and increasing first responder safety.
- Enhanced Forensics Analysis & Crime Analysis – Detailed forensic data and intelligence improves the investigative process, enhances prosecutions for gun crime, and helps create proactive data-driven strategies to address hotspots and problem areas for targeted deployments.
- Incident Qualification – A highly trained team of gunfire and acoustic experts at the SST Incident Review Center assess and qualify all incidents immediately and send valuable, actionable gunfire incident data to 9-1-1 dispatch centers and mobile police units.
- Long-Term Crime Deterrence – Awareness of all gunfire incidents and cumulative data enables proactive crime analysis, trending and strategic deterrence.
- Affordable and Easy to Use – With reduced city and police budgets and limited resources, ShotSpotter supports agencies as a force multiplier without the significant costs of software licensing, IT support and resources, and maintenance fees.
About SST, Inc.
SST, Inc. is the world leader in gunshot detection, and its ShotSpotter solutions are the leading gunfire alert and analysis solutions. Its public safety technology solutions are focused on improving public and community safety by locating gunfire and other explosive events, and ultimately, helping reduce and prevent gun violence and improving intelligence-led policing and community policing initiatives. SST solutions protect cities and countries around the world, with more than 80 installations in four countries and in more than 65 U.S. cities. Privately held, the company possesses a multitude of patents that are the result of nearly two decades of innovation in the area of acoustic gunshot location technology. Information about SST and ShotSpotter can be found at www.sst-inc.com or www.shotspotter.com. You can also follow SST and ShotSpotter solutions on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Lydia Barrett, 650-833-9534 (cell)
Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Source: SST, Inc.
Released April 18, 2012